Current as of April 2016
Florida State Horticultural Society (FSHS) presenters have two publication options: (1) have their manuscript published as a non-refereed paper in the Proceedings of the FSHS or (2) submit their manuscript to one of the three (3) American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) journals, and if accepted for publication, to have that paper subsequently published, as a reprint, in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society.
Option 1: Papers to be published only in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society (FSHS)
Papers to be published only in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society (FSHS) must be received by the Editors no later than the last day of the annual meeting. They may be submitted prior to the meeting. If there are any problems with this deadline, authors should contact the editors ([email protected]) by the last day of the meeting.
FSHS presenters who would like to publish their presented paper only in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society should:
- email their paper, as a Word document, to the FSHS editors, using [email protected], and copying their sectional Vice President;
- use the formatting listed on the ASHS website for HortTechnology for style, measurements, references, and any other editorial matters http://www.ashs.org/?page=HTAuthorGuidelines;
- use 12 point Times New Roman font and double spacing throughout their manuscript;
Extension authors should limit their total paper to no more than 10 to 12 double-spaced pages (12 point Times New Roman font), including all tables and figures.
- Extension authors who choose to not follow this space limitation must be prepared to pay page charges for each additional page above the 3 free printed pages allotted.
FSHS authors who give poster presentations should:
- email a copy of the PowerPoint used to print their poster to the editors using [email protected] no later than the last day of the meeting unless prior arrangements have been made with the editors;
- poster presentations will be published only in the online edition of the Proceedings.
Option 2: Authors who would like to submit their presented FSHS paper to an ASHS journal should:
- indicate on the FSHS Author’s Agreement that they intend to publish their manuscript in (1) HortTechnology, (2) HortScience or (3) the Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science;
- submit the manuscript directly to ASHS using the publishing guidelines for the journal in which their article will be considered (http://www.ashs.org) no later than the end of the annual FSHS conference or contact the FSHS Editors ([email protected]) if there is a problem with this deadline;
- keep both the FSHS Editors ([email protected]) and the FSHS sectional Vice President informed of the progress of the paper through the ASHS review process by copying them on correspondence with ASHS, including the publication number assigned by ASHS;
- indicate in a footnote and in a cover letter to the editor that the paper was originally an oral presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Florida State Horticultural Society;
- papers which are not accepted by ASHS will be published as non-refereed papers in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society;
- if a paper is declined by ASHS with an invitation to resubmit – please inform the FSHS Editors of your intent to either 1) resubmit to an ASHS journal or 2) publish as a non-refereed paper in the Proceedings. A resubmission to an ASHS journal will travel through the review process as a new submission.