Instructions for FSHS Authors Submitting Papers for Publication in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society
Mary Lamberts – Updated June 2019
Changes in page charges and other editorial due dates – approved by FSHS Board of Directors – Dec 20, 2019
Page charges: for 2020 and beyond
- Scientific Note – $75
- Regular papers – $75 per page
- Papers published in a non-ASHS Journal – $75 per file
Upfront page charges will be charged on submission of abstract for 2020 and beyond– approved by FSHS Board of Directors – Dec 20, 2019
- Scientific Note – $75
- Regular papers – $150 upfront – $75 per additional page on submission of papers
- Publish in ASHS – no fee
- Publish in a non-ASHS journal – $75
- Download Sample Manuscript with Explanations…
- Download Literature Cited Example…
- Download Sample Table-Figure Format…
(1) Please use the paper number from the FSHS program plus the last name of the corresponding author for your paper and associated files. (e.g., V-35 Fitzberts)
(2) Refer to the Sample Manuscript with Explanations while preparing your manuscript.
(3) Please save the body of your paper and any tables as a Word document. Please put all your tables at the end of the document or in a separate file using the same name as your paper (e.g. V-35 Fitzberts Tables). Figures should be saved using .jpg formats and should not be excessively large. Please send your figures as separate files using the same name as your paper, but adding “fig” and the number of the figure or picture. (e.g., V-35 Fitzberts Fig-1, V-35 Fitzberts Fig-2, etc.)
(4) Please make sure at least one person in your office who is not a co-author of this paper has reviewed it.
(5) Check your publication for accuracy before sending it for publication. Charges for corrections to page proofs are expensive.
(6) Please do NOT use page numbers or line numbering or full justification.
(7) Please make sure your include the complete mailing address for each author on your publication.
(8) Extension authors are limited to two (2) printed pages, which is equivalent to no more than 6 to 8 double-spaced pages (12 point Times New Roman font), including all tables and figures for the total paper.
(9) Please check all your references for accuracy and completeness and consult the Literature Cited example: (http://fshs.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/citations-v2.pdf) if you have any questions about how the Literature Cited should be formatted.
(a) Make sure that (a) all the references included in the Literature Cited actually appear in the body of the paper and (b) all the referenced included in the paper are included in the Literature Cited.
(i) Papers with missing references will be returned to the author for corrections. If you cite a website, you must include the date that the website was consulted. Double check hyperlinks to make sure they take the reader to the correct webpage.
(b) EDIS publications should include the name of the originating department and “UF/IFAS Extension, Gainesville, FL.”
(10) Generally, papers should include the following:
- Authors, with superscripts to indicate the mailing address of each author and one for the corresponding authors email
- Complete mailing address (Footnote 1) for each author (please use the same number for authors at the same address)
- Corresponding author’s email
- Additional Index Words (a.k.a. Key Words or Tags)
- Materials & Methods
- Results & Discussion – either combined or as separate sections
- Literature Cited
- Figures – sent as separate files and with appropriate filenames that reference your paper number
(11) If you choose to submit a 700 word (1 page) Scientific Note, please follow the information in: Scientific Note for publication in the Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society
(1) For addresses in Gainesville, please use the P.O. Box number rather than the street address.